Monday 17 May 2010

Sooooooo then...


It's been a hectic 7 days in the Rhymes calendar and now with the weekend well and truly out of the way let the next 7 begin!

Last week was one of pure thoroughbread creation from day 1 to day...well about 5 until I was struck down with man AIDs! After the hugely successful Foreign Beggars gig at the weekend (see earlier blogs) it began with a trip to Tim 'The Bass' Philbert, one of the many men behind Goldie's aptly named masterpiece 'Timeless' - I know because he had the BPI platinum disc on the wall to show for it (BIG!!)... combine that with the biggest and baddest collection of analogue compressors, eq's, reverbs, pre amps etc I've seen since Embee's studio in Sweden and the excitement was lifting my new 59fifty clean off my head. 

We'd met at a gig and now we were gonna record a tune together, YES. A cup of coffee to blow the weekends cobwebs away and we were swapping our latest favourite tracks. He didnt like the Racoons theme tune as much as me. He played me one of his beats and it was siiiick...it turned out this was this one he wanted to work on. So I got writing and soon enough we had a hook and a couple of verses down and ready to record...well almost, we couldn'd find the bloody popshield. S'all good, I had my trusty versatile jumper sleeve (check the picture). It actually worked. I was shocked too. We wrote and recorded the track in about 4 hours and I cant wait to hear it. He's gonna mix it and send me a copy so will have a demo sooooon...

Queens English had an interview with Ctrl.Alt.Shift magazine in town the next day so look out for that... We really should have gone to their Dear Diary event with none other than Mat Horne djing but alas we had to rehearse for the big gig at the weekend.... more on that bloody gig later...

Yeah rehearsal with Shwinn... Mr Something Else was eating Tapas in Barcelona at the weekend so we needed a stand in DJ... Step Up Shwinn (We should actually call him that) and step up he did. Nuff respect to Robin of the Oli D.A.B vs Robin variety for lending us the decks for the night... Whilst Shwinn's mixing skills might not quite match Ruairi's exquisite cocktail blending he has the stage presence of a Lion so this was gonna be baaaad!! Bad meaning good obviously.

The next day I had to get on the writing for the latest QE tune What We Got and I'm pleased to report it is sickness, can't wait to get it recorded. Sherlocks ahead of the game on this and has recorded already so I need to pull my mic out! New tunes a GWARN!!!

The hard hitting, fast spitting of the day before had me needing some geeeetar so a date with Emilio, my favourite man of Tanners Hill was in order... Me n Source are writing some exciting new music with him and it was just what we needed...until his computer crashed, along with all the recording that night, the drums we'd programmed, the bass we'd recorded, the...oh sod it I dont wanna talk about it. Slightly (understatement!!!) annoying but hey an acoustic jam soon got us over it. Emilio enjoyed it for sure, check him out with his Argie bargie vebrato...


So yeah, hmmm the gig. The big gig. SX Festival had hit us up badly wanting us to come n rock their WoHo Music Stage...all good so far. Contract signed, we're on on Saturday and already had a few messages from fans in Essex coming to see us (we got big following in Essex :-)). Quick check online, it says we're playing on Sunday. What?! I checked. It was the Sunday, we couldnt do it... Step Up Shwinn's moment had gone! Sorry mate...

Still Mr Chips' Jamaican birthday extravaganza hosted by MC Source was The Shit and I really wish I had some pictures to show how wicked it was... Jerk Chicken, Caribbean Curry, Coconuts and Pineapple dance studio...SX Fest really missed out!

Time to rep your endz.... This weekend sees Deptford A.R.M.Y. go head to head with Dalston's Spam Fritter Crew at Corsica Studios in tribal warfare. TimeOut are propping it as the night with bass, bass and erm more bass, so get down for the...BASS!!! I'll be there on the mic with Dex Luther making a nuisance of myself as usual so see all the party people there...


- Leon Rhymes aka Fishfinger Whizkid

No comments:

Post a Comment